- Conventional Oven
- 1 cup water warm
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 pkg yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 eggs beaten
- ⅔ cup Crisco shortening softened
- 1 cup potatoes mashed, warm
- 7-7½ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook 1 large potato (pared and cubed) in boiling water until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Mash potato. There should be 1 cup.
- Add 2/3 cup shortening to potatoes to melt.
- If necessary, add water to remaining potato water to make it 1 cup. Stir in salt and sugar until dissolved. Add mashed potato mixture, yeast mixture and eggs.
- Stir in 6 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing with hands until dough is smooth and stiff enough to leave sides of bowl. Turn out dough onto lightly floured pastry board. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes) Place in large greased bowl, turn dough once to grease top, cover, and refrigerate (for at least 2 hours.)
- Shape dough into desired rolls and let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake until golden brown.
Tried this recipe?CLICK HERE to let us know how it was!